10/07/15: AUDREY HEPBURN: PORTRAITS OF AN ICON


After almost a month without internet at home, I'm finally able to publish this long overdue post on the Audrey Hepburn exhibition currently going on at the National Portrait Gallery.

The exhibition is of a reasonable size with the exhibits separated into three sections. Most of what was on display was of course photographs, but there was also an entire wall dedicated to magazine covers that she had featured on throughout her life, and even a pair of her ballet shoes. The photographs are arranged in chronological order and there were a couple of boards with text explaining the significance of certain photographs and years of her life.

Having not really researched/read about Hepburn's life in detail before, I went in wanting to learn more about her and the time she lived in. I made a lot of notes whilst I was there to do with certain photographs that I especially liked, and quotes from people explaining how they saw Hepburn. My favourite was one from photographer Yousuf Karsh who said:

"Intensity, I suppose, is her particular quality and her particular success. Beauty is combined with an insatiable appetite for life, and for work too." 

Overall I thought that this exhibition was quite intimate and gives a good overview of her life. The exhibition ends on October 18th and I would recommend this to anyone in the area and of course anyone who is already a fan of hers. Ticket prices are not that expensive and discounts are available, for example, I was able to purchase my ticket for £3.75 because I have an ArtPass card.

I'll end this post with my favourite photograph of her, taken by Norman Parkinson



Until my next post,

Chelli


No comments:

Post a Comment